Anyone over the age of 18 will agree that sorghum is easily the coolest grain crop of all time. And while you likely enjoy hours of stimulating sorghum conversation with other adults at your local diner, church or weekly sorghum enthusiast group meetings, chances are you are having difficulty getting your kids as jazzed up about sorghum as you are.
Lord knows you’ve tried. No doubt you’ve sat your kids down and told them with enthusiasm that the ratio of sorghum yield in relation to water usage is one of the best for ANY CROP GROWN WORLDWIDE (even barley!). Yet, for some reason, they just stare at you with their eyes glazed over.
“Maybe they didn’t hear me right,” you think to yourself. So you repeat the fact a couple more times, but alas, it is not to be. Their minds are busy daydreaming about other, “more hip” topics like dinosaurs, cookies or Thomas the Tank Engine.
Or, worse yet, they’ll argue with you, telling you about how buckwheat is more “radical” than sorghum or corn “contains more vitamin D.” Where did your kids get such foolish and erroneous misinformation? Flip the TV over to Nickelodeon and you’ll find out. Wait for a commercial break and eventually, there it is: some funny cartoon animal or celebrity spokesperson promoting one of God’s inferior bastard grains – wheat, corn…even rice!
And while the National Sorghum Producers may not have the deep pockets and slick marketing ploys of Big Wheat, deep down you know that if you could just get your kids to sit down and see the facts, they’d be just as excited about sorghum as everyone else. Luckily, breaking them from their childish infatuation with “trendy” grains can be done. Here are some tips to help make it happen:
- Tell your kids sorghum is the FIFTH MOST IMPORTANT cereal crop in the world (take that millet!)
- Explain the usefulness of sorghum in relation to another one of your child’s interest. For example, does your son or daughter like sweeping floors or collecting antique brooms? As you already know, dried strands of sorghum are one of the MOST POPULAR natural materials in the ultra-hip broom industry!
- Buy a book on sorghum and force them to read it. If it works for the Bible, trust us, it’ll work for sorghum!
- Take a trip to Africa and show your kids firsthand the AMAZING drought tolerance of sorghum.
- Make sorghum cupcakes. They may not taste as good as flour-based cupcakes, but boy will those little eyes light up when you tell them these babies are GLUTEN-FREE!
- Don’t force your own sorghum-based opinions onto your kids. Just because caudatum is your favorite strain of sorghum doesn’t mean it has to be theirs. If they want to like bicolor, kafir, guinea or even durra, then by all means let them!
Employ a couple of these kid-friendly tactics, and pretty soon you’ll catch your little ones at the computer after bedtime, breaking the rules so they can scour the Internet for more COOL facts about sorghum. It’s every parent’s dream come true, and with a little patience and know-how, it could happen to YOU!
Users who have LIKED this post: